Well it sort of was.
An underground organised collection of barebones people intended to try out the proposed gravel race in Wales. As it was 3 riders only started on a cool but changeable April day, just the rider, a GPX track and a bundle of food and drink. ahead lay 100 miles of finest forest tracks.
The weather forecast of cold spells of rain, lack of entry fee and commitment all make these a tough mental commitment, but I was well up for this, as was Big Dave L with a shiny new Dirty harry to try out. Due to tired legs I went for the Anthem for comfort and the chance to fit a 30T cog for spinning up the considerable climbing.
How did it go;
- Only finisher in 9 Hrs 47 mins two DNF’s
- GPS devices can loose satellite connection even with clear skies, hey Dave.
- Always have a bail out route or two planned
- YHA is a good water stop just under half way, I only drank 4 x 750ml bottles
- Food – ate 3234 calories *see below* on the way round – Alpkit stem cells are great.
- Trees still down and Track after Reservoir chapel is wrecked, slows progress.
- Some of the down hills are proper full on MTB only at speed. In my opinion skinny tyres would be slower.
- A great route and brilliant fun, no way do you have time to be bored.
- 9am start is perfect for a good breakfast and return food option.
- Big bird statue is a great start point
- Take 2 will happen, navigation knowledge will cut time alone, big temptation to compare different bike, tyres too.
After a big Breakfast of cereal, toast and a cooked plate the following more than fuelled me round. (calories)
- 350 Two Torq Bottles to start
- 200 Two bananas
- 500 JP patented trail mix
- 215 eat natural dark Choc
- 147 Torq sun dried banana bar
- 439 Quorndon strawberry flapjack from Spa
- 462 Quorndon Choctop flapjack
- 312 Two Kellogg’s choc rice cakes
- 264 Cliff Builders protein bar 20g protein mid ride
- 340 Four SIS cola caffeine gels for the caffeine hit
- 114 Torq Orange & banana gel
I made that just over 300 calories an hour which is a tad excessive really, could be saved on.